Saturday 26 May 2012

Dream of some green

I remember quite well how shocked I was when I first saw the city architecture of Osaka and later Okayama. Narrow streets, blueish greyish colours and supply lines such as electricity and telephone just above the street. It took me a while to understand and accept why a Japanese city looks like that, so different from cities I'm used to.  But not every place looks like the other - for instance was I positively surprised when I first came to Tokyo and expected to see a busy tree less city, but rather found a green organised town.

First of all Japan suffers from natural disasters, unlike Germany. Since there are regular earthquakes and Tsunamis in most parts of Japan to put things under ground just makes no sense - if they get damaged you need to repair them and when they are underground it will just cost you too much money and effort. To put things above surface is just more handy and convenient in case something brakes - convenient. 
The greyish colour comes from the - in my opinion - most common used material in Japan: concrete. I still try to figure out why architects in Japan seem to be so obsessed with concrete, because even my friends don't agree to the statement that concrete is beautiful (sorry Andy).  One explanation I try to come up with (but still need to confirm) is that public income for a city is much lower than for instance a "general" German city, due to lower tax incomes. In Japan everything is taxed by just five percent. This may lead to a cheaper and just convenient why of constructing things - in concrete.
One last point is that there is just no space in Japan because everyone gathers at the coastal area. Houses, streets and walk ways are just much narrow than most European facilities. 

But even when houses in the city are not surrounded by a back and front yard, Japanese (or at least they give me the impression) want and enjoy a bit of nature and greenery around them. Of course most people enjoy parks and temple areas which are exceptional beautiful, green and recreative.

Temple in West-Okayama city
This desire of an intact and green environment in Japan expresses itself as well in green and harmonic commercials and posters. However, especially in narrow streets and when you expect it least you can find green square meters in front of houses where the inhabitants try to raise plants, sometimes even vegetables. 

I highly appreciate this ability to create these little green and re-creative spots in a greyish city; an ability I lack and try to understand and learn from my neighbours.

little front yard!

Decorated stairwell!
Little "garden" in the middle of the city.




No comments:

Post a Comment